The 12 Best Books on Writing I’ve Ever Read
There are over 70 million books on writing available, and these are just a small sample of what’s available. You could read one a day for the rest of your life and not exhaust the resources, though some do require you to put on your big kid pants due to language, as I’ve mentioned.
1. The Writing Life: Writers on How They Think and Work
Over fifty authors talk about how they got started as writers and how they work.
2. Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot that Grips Readers from Start to Finish
There are also hints on how to be your own book doctor.
3. Getting into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors
Brandilyn Collins uses the Method Acting approach to explain and adapt characterization techniques for novelists in her new book, which explains how to bring characters to life the way actors do on stage.
4. The Writing Life
Even when she’s writing about writing, Annie Dillard’s hauntingly ethereal prose soars, and I appreciate her candor about how difficult the craft can be. This is one of the best books on writing available.
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft [language]
Readers will learn a lot while being wildly entertained by King’s expertly crafted prose, as he tells his own rags-to-riches story in his inimitable voice.
6. How to Write Bestselling Fiction [mild language]
Dean Koontz’s Left Behind series has sold over 60 million copies, and he uses it as a textbook when teaching writing. The series continues to sell in the six figures year after year, nearly a decade after the last title was released.
7. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life [language]
Anne Lamott will have you laughing one minute and crying the next as she recounts the joys and sorrows of writing, single parenting, overcoming addiction, and coming to faith. To purchase Anne Lamott’s book, click here.
8. Writing the Breakout Novel: Insider Advice for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level
An agent pushes you to think “big concept,” tackle major themes, and write life-changing works in addition to spinning yarns.
10. On Writing Well: An Informal Guide to Writing Nonfiction
Zinsser, a graceful classicist as a writer, offers sound advice on the fundamentals of writing any kind of nonfiction you can think of, and this million-seller has been lauded for its warmth and clarity. Click here to get the book.
11. The Elements of Style
Every writing teacher I know recommends this short paperback, whose simple truths cover everything from style to grammar to usage. Reading the top ten Christian classics while ignoring the Bible would be like reading the top ten Christian classics while ignoring the Bible. Click here to get the book.
12. Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Let’s Them Go
Les Edgerton’s advice will benefit any writer; if you haven’t read any of the other books on this list, start with Stephen King’s On Writing, and Dean Koontz’s How to Write Bestselling Fiction could teach you more than a college writing course.
What makes good writing book?
A strong opening: A great book grabs readers from the first page and doesn’t let go until the end, which is why a strong opening is one of the most important elements of book writing. Good characters draw readers in by providing them with someone to love, hate, or identify with.
What good writing is?
Good writing occurs when the reader encounters a distinct, individual, and appropriate voice; good writing lingers in the reader’s mind; good writing enriches the reader’s reading experience; and good writing makes the reader want to read more.
What is the best writing guide?
Books on how to improve your writing
- Stephen King’s “On Writing.” Anne Lamott’s “Bird by Bird.” Robert Lee Brewer’s “Writer’s Market.” William Zinsser’s “On Writing Well.” William Strunk, Jr.’s “The Elements of Style.” The Associated Press’s “The Associated Press Stylebook.”
What are the qualities of a good piece of writing?
The following is a brief description of five important qualities of good writing: focus, development, unity, coherence, and correctness, which are particularly important in academic and expository writing.
How do I begin to write?
8 Great Ways to Get Your Writing Project Started
- Start in the Middle. If you’re not sure where to begin, don’t worry about it right now.
- Start Small and Build Up.
- Incentivize the Reader.
- Commit to a Title Up Front.
- Create a Synopsis.
- Allow Yourself to Write Badly.
- Do the Opposite.
Can you write a book with no experience?
Bradford says you shouldn’t always write outside of your own experience, but you should know why you’re doing it and make sure people from the group you’re writing about have had a chance to tell their own stories before you jump in.
What are examples of writing?
Narrative Writing Examples
- Short stories.
- Oral histories.
- Poetry (especially epic sagas or poems)
- Short Stories.
What is good writing and bad writing?
Bad writers never examine anything; their inattentiveness to the detail of their prose is part and parcel of their inattentiveness to the detail of the outside world.” “Better-than-competent writers u2014 good writers u2014 examine their effects before they put them down: They think that way all the time.”
What is bad writing?
Characters who are either saying what they already know for the benefit of the audience or reader alone, or telling us stories of actions that have happened off screen or away from the story being told, are usually signs of bad writing. Readers and audiences are smart.
What is the best book to write a short story?
The Top 10 Writing Tips for Great Short Stories
- Understand that a short story is not the same as a novel.
- Begin as close to the end as possible.
- Keep the pace up.
- Keep the number of characters small.
- Give the reader someone to root for.
- Create conflict!
What books should I read to improve my writing skills?
The Best Books on How to Live a Writer’s Life
- 7 Stephen King’s On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. Best for: Fiction Writers.
- 8 Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.
- 9 Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within.
- 10 Ray Bradbury’s Zen in the Art of Writing.
How can I improve my writing style?
8 Pointers to Help You Improve Your Writing Style
- Be direct in your writing
- good writing is clear and concise.
- Short sentences are more powerful than long sentences.
- Write short paragraphs.
- Always use the active voice.
- Review and edit your work.
- Read famous authors.
What are the four pillars of good writing?
Effective written communication is built on four pillars.
- Clarity. Why are you writing to this person or these people?
- Simplicity. Some people believe that using big words makes them appear important or knowledgeable.
- Brevity. Give your reader only what he or she needs.