Over 50 Chapter Books for Preschoolers and 3 Year Olds
Choosing appropriate read aloud chapter books for preschoolers is a tricky business; three and four-year-olds with older siblings may simply enjoy the family time; however, all of these books are appropriate for older children to read alone or listen in on while you read aloud.
Chapter Books for Preschoolers
Dick King-Smith is an essential go-to author for early chapter books. Milly Molly Mandy is a charming collection of stories about a young girl and her first experiences. The Riverside Kids series are great read alouds for young 3s. Mercy Watson to the Rescue is a toast-loving rescue dog.
A babysitter who brings gingerbread mice to life? Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? An old lady with funny names? Lotta on Troublemaker Street? Lotta is five years old and has a bit of trouble staying out of scrapes. Emil is good natured and well-meaning, but that doesn’t keep him out of trouble.
Dory Fantasmagory had my 6-year-old son in stitches as we read it. The Story of Diva and Flea is a delightfully charming new early chapter book by Mo Willems. Princess Magnolia’s secret identity has her fighting the local monsters. Cynthia Rylant has a knack for writing stories that are both modern and traditional.
What is a good chapter book to read to a 4 year old?
Here are their 16 favorite chapter book recommendations that will keep your preschooler u2014 and you u2014 entertained for months.
- Detective Gordon: The First Case.
- My Father’s Dragon.
- The Storm.
- Captain Pug.
- Charlie and Mouse.
- Calpurnia Tate: Girl Vet.
Can you read chapter books to 4 year olds?
It goes without saying that you should continue to read picture books to your preschoolers and kindergarteners, but if your children are ready, incorporating just the right chapter book into your read aloud time can add a new dimension to your read aloud time. The best chapter books to read aloud to 4-6 year olds have a few characteristics in common.
What is a good chapter book to read to a 5 year old?
25 Classic Chapter Books for Children Ages 5-8
- A. A. Milne’s Winnie the Pooh: The Complete Tales.
- A. A. Milne’s When We Were Very Young (1924) and Now We Are Six (1927).
- Kenneth Grahame’s The Wind in the Willows.
- L. Frank Baum’s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White.
- Raggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle.
When should a child start reading chapter books?
Children generally become ready to transition to children’s chapter books around the age of 7 or 8. Some children are naturally enthusiastic about diving into chapter books, especially if they participated actively in the read-alouds you shared, holding the book, flipping the pages, and memorizing parts of the story.
What ages are chapter books for?
A chapter book, also known as a chapterbook, is a story book written for intermediate readers, usually between the ages of 7 and 10. Unlike picture books for younger children, a chapter book tells the story primarily through prose rather than pictures.
What book should I read to my kids?
20 Children’s Chapter Books to Read Aloud
- The Secret Garden.
- James and the Giant Peach.
- The Giver.
- The Harry Potter Series.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Because of Winn-Dixie.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events.
- Because of
What age should I read to my child?
Reading to babies as young as 4 months increases the likelihood that parents will continue to read to their children as they grow older. Starting early is important because the roots of language are developing in a baby’s brain even before he can speak!
How do you introduce a chapter book?
Here are a few of our best beginner’s tips:
- If the book isn’t working, try something else.
- Let them do something while they listen.
- Don’t be a slave to the chapters.
- When you wake up each day, do a quick review of what happened the day before.
- Keep a record of the books you read.
Can a 5 year old read Harry Potter?
There is no u201cright ageu201d for Harry Potter, as there is for most milestones; it all depends on the childu2014and the parents. However, there are a few age-related guidelines to consider: Harry Potter is classified as a middle-grade read, which typically encompasses 9u2013tou201312u2013yearu2013olds.
What are chapter books for 6 year olds?
Chapter books are the best books for six-year-olds.
- Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr Fox. Philippa Pearce’s The Ghost in Annie’s Room. Terry Deary’s The Lion’s Slave: A Greek Tale. Mick Manning’s Viking Longship. Michael Rosen’s Dread Cat. Shannon and Dean Hale’s The Princess in Black.
Can 1st graders read chapter books?
As children progress from emerging readers to newly independent readers in first grade, they often become very excited about reading their first chapter books! These Chapter Book Series for First Graders are easy to read, with larger text and high frequency words.
What books should a 7 year old be reading?
12 fantastic books for children aged 7 and up
- The Adventures of Harry Stevenson, Guinea Pig Superstar. Author: Ali Pye.
- Clyde. Author: Jim Benton.
- Bad Nana: Older Not Wiser. Author: Sophy Henn.