10 books every gamer should read
Each entry also has a few alternate titles that I’ve sneakily added so fewer people would shout at me. There is a lot of science fiction and fantasy, of course, because these are the predominant genres in gaming.
Akira – Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira, a manga by Seishi Yokomizo Otomo that explores ideas of mutation, psychokinesis, military corruption, and terrorism while displaying the nuclear paranoia that flooded Japanese culture after 1945, is credited with introducing manga, and through its animated movie translation, anime, to Western audiences.
Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories – HP Lovecraft
The Cthulhu Mythos has had a huge influence on game designers in other genres, including the makers of the seminal tabletop role-playing game Dungeons and Dragons, and the concept of ‘end of level bosses’ practically percolates Lovecraft’s philosophy into one game convention.
Dragon Ball – Akira Toriyama
Dragon Ball is widely regarded as one of the greatest mangas of all time, with over 230 million copies sold worldwide. Originally serialized in the weekly Japanese comic Shu014dnen Jump, the epic work combines exciting martial arts action with a Picaresque narrative brimming with eccentric characters.
The Greek Myths – Robert Graves
Many of the key inspirations for video game archetypes can be found in Ancient Greece, with Odysseus, Perseus, and Theseus symbolizing the heroic quest. Norse and Celtic mythologies have also had a significant influence on role-playing games.
The Hero With a Thousand Faces – Joseph Campbell
The concept of the heroic archetype has been named as an inspiration by countless developers, while Sir James George Frazer’s classic study of archetypal religious beliefs is another frequently mentioned source.
House of Leaves – Mark Z. Danielewski
House of Leaves is a cybertext, a piece of “ergodic” literature in which the text’s formatting becomes a puzzle for the reader to solve. Alternatively, Jorge Luis Borges’ Fictions is a surreal and playful text that creates meaning in obtuse layers.
King Solomon’s Mines – H. Rider Haggard
He influenced the heroic fantasy works of Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, as well as the sword-and-scythe sub-genre, with his novel The Lost World, published in 1885.
Neuromancer – William Gibson
No shiny spaceships or helpful robots, just noirish paranoia, busted up computer hardware, hard-drinking renegades, and drugs in Gibson’s cyberpunk novels. Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, and Quake all owe a debt to Heinlein’s Starship Troopers.
Is gaming better than reading?
Video games appear to be a good way to engage reluctant readers with stories, with 73% of those who don’t like to read saying that playing games makes them feel “more part of a story” than reading a book, according to the study. Video games also improve young people’s creativity through writing, according to the study.
What books every person should read?
At Least Once In Their Lives, Everyone Should Read These 30 Books
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird.
- George Orwell’s 1984.
- J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.
What is the most popular reading book?
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling is the best-selling book series in history, with more than 500 million copies sold worldwide; the first novel in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, has sold more than 120 million copies, making it one of the best-selling books of all time.
What is the coolest book ever?
The 50 coolest books of all time
- Bret Easton Ellis’ American Psycho (1991)
- Bret Easton Ellis’ Less Than Zero (1985)
- Anthony Burgess’ A Clockwork Orange (1962)
- Jack Kerouac’s On The Road (1951)
- William Burroughs’ Naked Lunch (1959)
- Joseph Heller’s Catch 22 (1961)
- Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five (1969)
Do video games ruin your eyes?
The short answer to the video game question is yes, video games can potentially harm your eyesight; however, this is an unfair statement because video games are not the only thing that can harm your eyes. Computer vision syndrome is the term for excessive use of devices with screens.
Do video games rot your brain?
Brain scans show that playing violent’shooter’ video games can damage the brain and may even increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, according to a study. They also gave them a bunch of non-violent Super Mario games to play.
What is the most difficult book to read?
The Top 25 Most Difficult Books You’ll Ever Read
- James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake (1939)
- William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury (1929)
- Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales (14th Century)
- Gabriel Garcia Mu00e1rquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)
- Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow (1973)
What are the top 3 purchased books in 2020?
These are the year’s best-selling books.
- A Promised Land by Barack Obama (2,574,531 copies sold)
- Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer (1,311,147 copies sold)
- Dog Man by Dave Pilkey (1,240,277 copies sold)
- Mary L.
- Suzanne Collins, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (1,235,099 copies sold)
What is the number 1 selling book in the world?
The Bible is the best-selling book of all time, with over 5 billion copies sold to date. It was written by a number of authors and is divided into two sections: the Old Testament and the New Testament.
What is the most bought book in the world 2020?
1. Barack Obama’s “A Promised Land” Former President Barack Obama’s memoir “A Promised Land” was released in November and was by far the most popular book we covered this year.
Can you read books online legally?
A second question has received almost equal attention: Is reading a book to students online even legal? While many well-intentioned commentators have warned teachers against doing so, the fact is that copyright lawu2014specifically, fair useu2014allows many read-aloud activities online.
What should I read if I like Fight Club?
Fight Club is one of nine books that are similar to it.
- Henry Miller’s Tropic of Cancer
- Hubert Selby Jr.’s Requiem for a Dream
- Hunter S Thompson’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- Daniel Keys’ Flowers For Algernon.
- Margaret Atwood’s The Heart Goes Last.
- Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood.
- Chuck Palahniuk’s Invisible Monsters.
What are the best books for 10 year olds?
2021’s Best Books for 10-Year-Olds
- Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster. Enchanting Storytelling. See Now.
- Roller Girl. A Favorite.
- Odd and the Frost Giants. Written By a Master.
- Belly Up. So Much Fun.
- All Four Stars. Top Rated.
- Treasure Hunters. A Gem.