STAAR Report Card Recommended Book Lists
Parents are encouraged to review any books before sharing them with their children, as each STAAR Report Card includes a recommended book list for each grade level. We recognize that every family has their own set of preferences when it comes to what their children read, so parents are encouraged to review any books before sharing them with their children.
The Boxcar Children, Judy Moody, and The Legend of the Bluebonnet are among the films included, as are Armadillo Rodeo, Martin Luther King, and Susanna of the Alamo.
Farley reads Sherlock Holmes and Muntean City of Fire by Bruchac, Jim Thorpe and Winnie-the-Pooh by DeJong, Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Black Stallion by Farley.
Heidi, The Phantom Tollbooth, Juster, Erickson, Lin Animals Nobody Loves, and Claudette Colvin are among the stories featured this week.
Fleming Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho is also on the list.
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. King Lear by Shakespeare.
What novels do 7th graders read in school?
Recommendations for books for Grade 7
- Jerry Craft’s New Kid. Cynthia Kadohata’s A Place to Belong. Lois Lowry’s The Giver. Natalie Babbitt’s Tuck Everlasting. Ellen Raskin’s The Westing Game. Gary D Schmidt’s The Wednesday Wars. Richard Adams’ Watership Down. Kwame Alexander’s The Crossover.
What books do 8th graders read in English?
English Books for 8th Grade
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird (Paperback)
- Daniel Keyes’ Flowers for Algernon
- Anne Frank’s The Diary of a Young Girl (Mass Market Paperback)
- Monster: A Graphic Novel (Hardcover)
- The Landlady (Kindle Edition)
- Monster (Paperback)
What is a good book series for middle schoolers?
10 Middle Grade Readers’ Favorite Binge-Reading Series
- The Last Kids on Earth Series.
- DC Super Hero Girls Series.
- The Ranger’s Apprentice Series.
- Hamster Princess Series.
- Keeper of the Lost Cities Series.
- Alex Rider Series.
- The Devlin Quick Mysteries Series.
- The Land of Stories Series.
- The Last Kids on Earth
What books should a 12 year old read?
2021’s Best Books for 12-Year-Olds
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon. For Magic Lovers.
- Percy Jackson Series. An Addictive Supernatural Series.
- Up for Air. Perfect for Swimmers.
- Harry Potter Series. A Staple for All.
- Mostly the Honest Truth.
- Track Series.
How long should 7th graders read?
A beginning reader should spend at least 20 minutes a day reading to or with someone, with books that are relatively easy for your child. This will help build fluency, and you’ll notice that your child will stop decoding words less frequently over time.
What books should a 14 year old read?
A teenager may want to do a variety of things in order to be cool or fit in. Fiction Books
- Jasper Jones.
- Life of Pi.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- The Martian: Classroom Edition.
- Life of Pi.
What level reading is 8th grade?
Kindergarten to 1st grade levels are 0-530, 2nd grade levels are 420-650, 3rd grade levels are 620-820, 4th grade levels are 740-940, 5th grade levels are 830-1030, 6th to 8th grade levels are 1010-1205, and 9th to 12th grade levels are 1050-1605.
Is Percy Jackson middle grade?
“I think these definitions are fairly simple: middle grade books feature pre-teen characters in situations of interest to 8-12 year olds, and YA novels feature teen protagonists in situations of interest to teen readers,” Lisa says.
Is Harry Potter middle grade?
Harry Potter is classified as a Middle-Grade, or Children’s, book.
What is middle grade book?
Books written for readers between the ages of 8 and 12 are classified as middle-grade fiction, while books written for readers between the ages of 12 and 18 are classified as young adult fiction.
What are 10 year olds reading?
Here are 19 books that your 10-year-old is likely to enjoy and learn from.
- Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster. Enchanting Storytelling.
- Roller Girl. A Favorite.
- Odd and the Frost Giants. Written By a Master.
- Belly Up. So Much Fun.
- All Four Stars. Top Rated.
Is 12 a tween?
Because they are between children and teenagers, children between the ages of 8 and 12 are referred to as “tweens.” It is common for children this age to begin to move away from their parents and desire to be more independent, though they still require a great deal of parental assistance.
Can a 13 year old read the fault in our stars?
If your child is under the age of 13, the book may be too mature for them; instead, try these readalikes! John Green’s novel The Fault in Our Stars won hearts and was adapted into a feature film, but the themes and plot may be too mature for your tween.