Edgy Books Your Pre-Teen Will Love
Pre-teens, as independent readers, begin to learn more about themselves through what they read, and these books will captivate them with exciting stories that will keep them hooked. Shop the best edgy books for your pre-teen now, handpicked by Scholastic editors.
What books should a 12 year old read?
2021’s Best Books for 12-Year-Olds
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon. For Magic Lovers.
- Percy Jackson Series. An Addictive Supernatural Series.
- Up for Air. Perfect for Swimmers.
- Harry Potter Series. A Staple for All.
- Mostly the Honest Truth.
- Track Series.
What books should an 11 year old be reading?
Here are 23 fantastic book suggestions for kids aged 11 and up.
- Charlie Hernu00e1ndez and the League of Shadows. Mystical and Diverse.
- Nowhere Boy. Heartwarming and Serious.
- Front Desk. Unique.
- The Ruins of Gorlan. A Fantastic Story.
- The War that Saved My Life. Lovely.
- Goosebumps. Spooky Fun.
What are the most popular books for 13 year olds?
New York Times Best Sellers
- The Hobbit.
- The Harry Potter Series.
- Simone Biles’ Courage to Soar.
- Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard.
- The Hunger Games.
- The Queens Poisoner.
What are good 13 14 year olds books?
Books of Fiction
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- The Martian: Classroom Edition.
- Jasper Jones.
- Life of Pi.
What are 10 year olds reading?
Here are 19 books that your 10-year-old is likely to enjoy and learn from.
- Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster. Enchanting Storytelling.
- Roller Girl. A Favorite.
- Odd and the Frost Giants. Written By a Master.
- Belly Up. So Much Fun.
- All Four Stars. Top Rated.
Is 12 still a kid?
A tween is a child who is between the ages of 9 and 12. They are no longer a small child, but they are not quite a teenager, and their behavior and emotions reflect this. Approaching puberty: A tween’s body will begin to change, or has already begun to change.
Can a 11 year old read Harry Potter?
7u20139: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is a great place to start (for younger kids, consider reading aloud together).
Can you see me book autism?
Can You See Me? is an endearing, insightful, and warmly uplifting story about autism, empathy, and kindness that will touch readers of all ages. Something Tally can’t hide, no matter how hard she tries: Tally is autistic. Tally’s autism means that she is bothered by things she wishes didn’t bother her.
How do I get my 11 year old to read more?
Ten Ways to Encourage Your Child to Read
- Set aside regular read-aloud time with your children.
- Make sure the reading material isn’t beyond your child’s reading abilities.
- Create a cozy reading nook.
- Look for a variety of reading material.
What are 15 year olds reading?
Books for Young Adults (ages 13 to 17)
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird
- John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath
- William Golding’s Lord of the Flies
- John Knowles’ A Separate Peace
- Lois Lowry’s The Giver
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit
- Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game
Can a 13 year old read the fault in our stars?
If your child is under the age of 13, the book may be too mature for them; instead, try these readalikes! John Green’s novel The Fault in Our Stars won hearts and was adapted into a feature film, but the themes and plot may be too mature for your tween.
How long should a 13 year old read per day?
A beginning reader should spend at least 20 minutes a day reading to or with someone, with books that are relatively easy for your child. This will help build fluency, and you’ll notice that your child will stop decoding words less frequently over time.
What do 14 year olds read?
Year 10’s suggested reading list for KS4 students aged 14-15
- 13 minutes: A Novel by Sarah Pinborough.
- Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield.
- Every Day by David Levithan.
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.
- Grow by Luke Palmer.
- We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen.
What books should 16 year olds read?
Every 16-year-old should read these 16 coming-of-age books.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Stephen Chbosky, 1999.
- The Outsiders. SE Hinton, 1967.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee, 1960.
- The Lord of the Rings. JRR Tolkien, 1954.
- Great Expectations. JD Salinger, 1951.
How can I help my 13 year old to read?
With these fun strategies, you can encourage your older reader to pick up a book and read for pleasure:
- The Behind-the-Scenes Story.
- Mom or Dad’s Executive Assistant.
- Start a book club with your teen. Invite her to pick a book you’ll both read, and then you pick the next one.