25 Essential Books That Every College Student Should Read
Books improve your cognitive skills and expand your view of the world around you; they broaden your vocabulary and help students find new models for academic writing. Every college student has their own list of must-read, or at least must-check, books; check out the list below!
1. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
What will become more important to them: love or friendship? Is there any decision for this difficult situation, when you love but don’t want to lose your best friend?
2. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
After graduation, a privileged Princeton student discovers that life is completely different behind the walls of his college, which sounds all too familiar to many college students today, doesn’t it? He then has to look for himself again.
3. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Don’t feel sorry for yourself; only assholes do that. This is a story about true love and friendship, and how one college student’s life is transformed. It teaches us to value friendship and those who love us, as well as to be willing to accept the harsh realities of life.
4. 1984 by George Orwell
Will you be able to challenge the system? Are you strong enough to stay for ever and not lose your individuality in a world divided between three totalitarian states, total control, elimination of all human values, and attempts to survive?
5. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
This young man tries to justify his actions after killing an elderly pawnbroker; Raskolnikov’s story should make every modern college student reconsider their views on moral laws. “Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart.”
6. A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
This is a story about our future world, in which happiness is valued but individuality is not; is it possible to be happy while conforming to society? Is it more important for young people to accept things as they are or to try to change the system?
7. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A myth-novel, an epic novel, a novel-paroemia about the evolution of humanity, in which each of us is doomed to loneliness; ideal reading for college students to understand and value the importance of family and close friends who support them.
8. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This book should be read to experience the disillusionment that many Americans felt during the Jazz Age, and it is a good lesson for young people to assess their capabilities and understand that our past cannot be returned; therefore, it is always better to let it go.
9. Lolita by Vladamir Nobokov
This novel about forbidden love between a man and a young nymphet, full of humor and intrigue, can teach us understanding, sacrifice, forgiveness, and many other traits that are so important but forgotten by many people today.
11. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
“If you’re in trouble, hurt, or need,” Winston Churchill said, “go to the poor people.” This is a story about a family who moves to California during the Great Depression in search of a better life. It’s a story about a man’s resilience and courage to roll with the punches.
12. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Merry mischief and melancholy sadness, romantic love and magical obsession, mystery and reckless game with the evil spirit are all found in this novel, which is ideal reading for discovering how evil can be more honest than a society and political regimes.
What book should every college student read?
In light of this, here is a list of the top ten books that every college student should read.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s This Side Of Paradise.
- Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World.
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s One Hundred Years Of Solitude.
- Ernest Hemingway’s A Farewell To Arms.
- John Steinbeck’s The Grapes Of Wrath.
- William Golding’s Lord Of The Flies.
Do you buy recommended books for college?
Although almost every college course requires a textbook of some sort, some college professors never use or refer to it; the syllabus may state that it is required, but the choice is still theirs, and some students choose to assert their independence.
What should I read before college?
Here are the top 25 books to read before going to college, without further ado.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. Buy it now on Amazon.
- The Handmaid’s Tale. Buy it now on Amazon.
- 1984. Buy it now on Amazon.
- The Bluest Eye.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- On the Road.
- Their Eyes Were Watching God.
What is the hardest book to read?
The Top 25 Most Difficult Books You’ll Ever Read
- James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake (1939)
- William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury (1929)
- Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales (14th Century)
- Gabriel Garcia Mu00e1rquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)
- Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow (1973)
Do you need textbooks the first day of college?
Although you may not need your textbooks on the first day, you should bring them in case your professor wants to go over anything in them or assign homework, and it will also show that you’re prepared and ready to learn!
What is the average cost of books and supplies for college?
The average full-time, on-campus undergraduate at a four-year school spent $1,240 on books and supplies during the 2020-2021 academic year, according to survey data from the College Board.
Do college students use textbooks?
In a survey of more than 500 psychology students, 35% said they used the teacher’s online lecture notes every week, while only 30% said they read the textbook every week. (There was no indication whether those percentages overlapped, or if some students used both resources.)
What is the best motivational book to read?
All-Time Top 10 Motivational Books
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People.
- Think and Grow Rich.
- Awaken the Giant Within.
- The Greatest Salesman in the World.
How many books do millionaires read?
According to my research, the average self-made millionaire takes 32 years to become wealthy, and those who achieve this status have made it a daily habit to read for self-improvement. According to my research, 85% of self-made millionaires read two or more books per month, which equates to 768 books.
How fast do college students read?
The average college student reads 350 words per minute, with a “good” reading speed of 500 to 700 words per minute. However, some people can read 1,000 words per minute.
What books should a 14 year old read?
A teenager may want to do a variety of things in order to be cool or fit in. Fiction Books
- Jasper Jones.
- Life of Pi.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- The Martian: Classroom Edition.
- Life of Pi.
How can I change my life book?
The Books That Changed My Life
- Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist. Carol Dweck’s Mindset. Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence People. Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now. Yuval Noah Harari’s Sapiens. Hal Elrod’s The Miracle Morning.
What books should you read before high school?
The Indispensable Books List
- Nineteen Eighty-Four.
- Lord of the Flies.
- Animal Farm.
- Catcher in the Rye.
- The Grapes of Wrath.
- Invisible Man.
- The Alchemist.
- To Kill a Mockingbird.
- To Kill a Mockingbird