The 9 Best Grammar Books to Make You a Stronger Writer
There are many grammar books on the market, and not all of them are created equal; you’ll find something that suits your needs, whether it’s academic or lighthearted and fun. If you don’t have time to read a book right now, consider using software.
1. The Elements of Style By Strunk and White
The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White, is an English writing style guide that breaks down the English language into rules of use and composition principles. It was named one of the 100 best and most influential books written in English by Time in 2011.
2. Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
Even the most ardent grammar nerd may struggle to get through Eats, Shoots, which was written by a former editor who understands grammar.
3. Woe Is I by Patricia T. O’Conner
Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe’s Guide to Better English in Plain English, by Patricia T. O’Conner, explores the grammar issues that plague even great writers in a friendly, nonjudgmental tone, then follows the rules with examples.
4. Several Short Sentences About Writing by Verlyn Klinkenborg
This book focuses on teaching writers how to write strong, meaningful, and delightful sentences, with the goal of helping people write more creatively. Verlyn Klinkenborg’s philosophy is that if a writer can write a strong, solid sentence, they can write strong paragraphs, chapters, and books.
5. The Sense of Style by Steven Pinker
The Sense of Style, a new book by Steven Pinker, examines how the English language can be manipulated, as well as the changes in modern writing brought on by texting and social media.
6. Write Right! by Jan Venolia
This book is more of a well-organized writing guide, with clear explanations and illustrations to help people understand the importance. With the rise of the Internet, rules are changing at a rapid pace, and this book keeps up with the latest edition.
7. Practical English Usage by Michael Swan
Practical English Usage by Michael Swan covers both spoken and written English grammar, with simple language that even new writers can understand. It also covers spelling issues and other common errors that can plague even the best writers, with plenty of examples.
9. Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
Mignon Fogarty’s Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing is a fun and informative book. Fogarty frequently appears on major talk shows giving grammar advice, and her style and writing tips will help you improve your writing and learn when it’s OK to break common grammar rules.
What’s the Best Advanced English Grammar Book?
If you’re looking for a self-study English grammar book for advanced writers, Advanced English Grammar with Answers by Hewings is a single-volume book that includes both grammar lessons and practice exercises to teach an advanced approach to grammar.
Build Your English Grammar Library
Some of the best grammar books will help you master the written language; remember, even the best writers need a grammar check now and then. With these guides, you can hone your craft and become a powerful, persuasive writer. For more information on running a business, see our Grammarly Business review.
What is grammar book used for?
You can use it to read about a rule after learning about it in class or reading about it in your textbook; you can look up a grammar rule after hearing someone use it or seeing it in writing; and you can use it to reinforce (make stronger) your learning by understanding the grammar rules that the language is built on!
What is a grammar book?
a book that contains an account of a language’s grammatical facts or recommendations for how to use a language properly.
Is grammar important to write a book?
Yes, you should be good at grammar if you want to be published, but poor grammar can also mean your book will cost more to publish because it will require a lot more editing than someone who has taken the time to edit their own work and fix the grammar as much as possible.
What books help with grammar?
The Best Books on Grammar and Punctuation
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary.
- Spunk and Bite: A Writer’s Guide to Bold, Contemporary Style.
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation.
- The Copyeditor’s Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications.
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation.
Which used in grammar?
‘Which car are we going in?’ he asked Alexander, using which as a determiner and interrogative pronoun to ask for specific information.
What is the best book to improve English grammar?
Our Top 10 List of the Best Books to Learn English Grammar
- Raymond Murphy’s Grammar in Use series
- J.’s The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
- S.’s The Only Grammar Book You’ll Ever Need
- G.’s Perfect English Grammar
- DK’s English for Everyone: An English Grammar Guide
- B.’s Oxford Modern English Grammar
What are the 5 rules of language?
Phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics are the five systems of rules that govern language.
Which English grammar is best?
For English language learners, here are the top ten grammar resources.
- William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White’s Elements of Style.
- Bas Aarts’ Oxford Modern English Grammar.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab.
- Grammar Exercises from the University of Bristol’s Faculty of Arts.
- Grammar Monster.
- Oxford Dictionaries.
What are () called in English?
They can also be used in mathematical expressions, such as 21 [23-3]=x. Parentheses ( () ) are curved notations that are used to contain additional thoughts or qualifying remarks; however, in most cases, parentheses can be replaced with commas without changing the meaning.
Are writers good at grammar?
Grammar is more important than research, synthesis, or analysis in determining whether or not a student is a good writer. While most students readily admit that their grammar is a weak point, some resent the emphasis on grammar: u201cThey don’t care about your ideas. They only care about your grammar.u201d
What are the rules of grammar?
Grammar’s Eleven Rules
- Use the Active Voice.
- Use a Conjunction to Join Two Ideas.
- Use a Comma to Connect Two Ideas as One.
- Use a Serial Comma in a List.
- Use the Semicolon to Join Two Ideas.
- Use the Simple Present Tense for Habitual Actions.
- Use the Present Progressive Tense for Current Action.
How can I enrich my vocabulary?
How to Improve Your Vocabulary in 7 Easy Steps
- Develop a reading habit
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus.
- Play word games.
- Use flashcards.
- Subscribe to “word of the day” feeds.
- Use mnemonics.
- Practice using new words in conversation.
How can I improve my English grammar and vocabulary?
We’ve put together a list of some of the most effective ways to learn and improve English grammar.
- Make a commitment.
- Keep a grammar book on hand.
- Utilize a grammar app.
- Practice every day.
- Learn new words.
- Read more in English.
- Listen in English.
- Try to communicate with your teacher and friends in English.
Can reading books improve your English?
Reading is one of the most enjoyable and effective ways to improve your English language skills, as it can help you expand your vocabulary and introduce you to new sentence structures while also allowing you to enjoy some fantastic stories.