10 Must-Have Makeup Books for the Makeup Lover – Updated for 2020!
Kevyn Aucoin’s understanding of facial structure and how to manipulate and enhance rather than cover it with makeup is/was groundbreaking, and he’s credited as the “father” of the contour and highlight trend as we know it.
The Art of Makeup Can Be Studied:
Makeup books are a great way to learn how to apply makeup and also make great (and easy) gifts for the makeup lover in your life. Affiliate links are used, which means I Spy receives a small commission at no cost to you.
1. Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin
This is the most inspiring makeup book I’ve ever read, and I highly recommend it. His posthumous makeup line is also incredible, and a piece from the collection paired with the book would make an unforgettable gift for any true beauty addict.
2. The Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual by Bobbi Brown
Bobbi Brown has decades of experience as a makeup artist/stylist and is the creator of her own makeup and skin care line; The Makeup Manual also includes top beauty secrets only artists know, essential equipment to keep on hand, and how to break into the industry.
3. Face Paint: The Story of Makeup by Lisa Eldridge
The Story of Makeup explores how painting the face and body is one of the oldest global social practices, with Lisa Eldridge sharing the history of the art form beyond the last 100 years of commercial makeup that we are familiar with, as well as how we have used makeup to represent ourselves.
4. Face Forward by Kevyn Aucoin
Face Forward, a coffee table book by late makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin, transforms well-known celebrities into iconic Hollywood and historical superstars like Marilyn Monroe and Cleopatra. He is also a skilled teacher who can break down what he does to manipulate faces in a way that others can replicate.
5. Robert Jones’ Makeup Masterclass by Robert Jones
This book is the ultimate guide to applying makeup.
6. Jemma Kidd Make-up Masterclass: Beauty Bible of Professional Techniques and Wearable Looks
Jemma Kidd is a makeup artist, teacher, former model, and fashion stylist who has since opened her popular makeup school in London, where she will teach you how to break down top trends, color theory, and ways to shape your face.
7. Makeup Artist Face Charts by Gina M Reyna
This interactive makeup chart book is a lot of fun because you can use whatever you want to work through the 48 face charts, including makeup, paint, colored pencils, and whatever else you want. Bonus charts allow you to work on isolated features, and each chart comes with and without brows.
8. Makeup Artist Eye Charts by Gina M. Reyna
This is the only eye chart book I’ll mention because it contains 138 eye charts in six different shapes, 98 practice charts, and pro tips and tricks, as well as 26 bonus charts with extra information on drawing lashes and brows.
9. About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist by Scott Barnes
Celebrity makeup artist Scott Barnes’ second book, About Face, features Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashian on the cover.
10. Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority by Melissa Schweiger
This book introduces the people behind some of your favorite brands, and each page brims with words of wisdom and expert advice from the creators of and authorities on more than two hundred classic and emerging beauty brands. I am obsessed with this cover, as I am with anything Sephora does.
What subjects do you need to be a makeup artist?
Makeup artists must have at least a high school diploma or GED, and most have also taken college courses or earned a certificate in cosmetology. It is also possible to learn makeup skills on the job, but some jobs require licensing, which varies by state.
What does a beginner makeup artist need?
Essentials for a beginner’s makeup bag
- Primer and Color-Correcting Concealer: You’ll need a primer to ensure the longevity of your makeup and to smooth the skin’s canvas.
- Foundation and Contouring Palette.
- Eye Shadows.
- Brow Kit.
- Mascara and Eyeliner.
- Lipstick and Lipliners.
- Setting powder and Setting spray.
How do you become a makeup artist book?
The following are some of our favorite makeup books:
- Making Faces u2013 Kevyn Aucoin.
- Make Up u2013 Michelle Phan.
- The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair From the Beauty Authority u2013 SEPHORA.
- Everything Eyes u2013 Bobbi Brown.
- Makeup Makeovers: Weddings u2013 Robert Jones.
Which subject is best for makeup artist?
Students may also be interested in the following top Makeup Artist courses:
- Bachelor of Arts in Hair, Makeup, and Prosthetics for Performance.
- Diploma or Certificate in Fashion Stylist and Communication.
- MA Fashion Styling, Photography, and Film.
Is makeup artist a good career?
It’s a no-risk career, and once you’ve established your presence, you can branch out and become a beauty and makeup influencer, giving you the freedom to take on any project with any client, including brides, models, celebrities, and events.
Can you be a self taught makeup artist?
Makeup artistry may be a natural talent, but it can also be learned; many self-taught makeup artists are excellent at what they do. Below are the benefits of attending a makeup school for several important aspects of the makeup industry.
How much should a beginner makeup artist charge?
How much does a makeup artist cost? A professional makeup artist can cost anywhere from $90 to $475, depending on the services you choose. Different event styles necessitate different amounts of products, time, and expertise, so costs can vary significantly.
What do makeup artists use?
Professional Makeup Artists Use These 18 Celebrity-Approved Beauty Products
- MAC Paint Sticks.
- Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer.
- Ardell 110 Lashes.
- Makeup Forever Flash Color Palette.
- Leonor Greyl Huile de Magnolia.
- Rouge Dior Couture Color 999.
- Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate Palette.
- Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate Palette.
How can I be beautiful book?
The best beauty books to add to your library
- Charlotte Mensah’s Good Hair: The Essential Guide to Afro, Textured, and Curly Hair. Ingeborg Van Lotringen’s Great Skin: Secrets the Beauty Industry Doesn’t Tell You. Caroline Hirons’ Skincare: The Ultimate No-Nonsense Guide. Alice Hart-Davis’ The Tweakments Guide.
How apply make up?
Step-by-step instructions on how to apply makeup
- Start with moisturizer, then apply primer, foundation, concealer, bronzer blush, highlighter, eyeshadow, and eyeliner.
What is the highest beauty qualification?
A CIDESCO diploma is the highest level of qualification in the beauty and spa industry, and it is the only internationally recognized qualification.
Which beauty course is best?
Beauty’s Top 5
- VLCC Institute is the best beauty academy in India for hairstylists and make-up artists, founded by Vandana Luthra.
- Pearl Academy.
- Shahnaz Husain Beauty Academy.
- Lakmu00e9 Academy.
- Fat Mu Pro Make-Up School.
How many years does it take to be a makeup artist?
There are associate degree programs and certificate programs in esthetics, cosmetology, and makeup artistry. For aspiring makeup artists to be successful, they must have a strong foothold in the industry and may need to be a licensed cosmetologist. There are associate degree programs and certificate programs in esthetics, cosmetology, and makeup artistry.