10 Books With Delightfully Odd Characters You’re Gonna Love | Toledo Lucas County Public Library
The Library blog is one of many tools we use to share information and recommendations with the community; below is a small selection of books with odd, quirky, and likable characters; don’t forget to subscribe to our blog to receive weekly updates delivered to your inbox.
1. Loch of the Dead by Oscar De Muriel
Nine-Nails McGray and Inspector Ian Frey, Edinburgh’s most famous detective duo, face their most metaphysical mystery yet, with a series of crimes surrounding the miraculous waters in the remote Loch Maree at the heart of the story.
2. The Department of Sensitive Crimes by Alexander McCall Smith
A bizarre stabbing, a missing imaginary boyfriend, and a haunted spa are all investigated by Swedish detective Ulf Varg and his colorful associates. Appeal: Funny, quirky, and engaging.
3. The Accidental Beauty Queen by Teri Wilson
A coming-of-age story about a girl whose twin sister has an allergic reaction the night before a beauty pageant in The Secret Diary of Teenage Charlotte Brancuso.
4. A Terrible Country by Keith Gessen
The film follows Andrei Kaplan as he tries to reconcile the Russian society he was born into with the American one he has known since childhood. Reviewer’s verdict: Alexei Tsiolkovsky’s film is amusing, thought-provoking, and engaging.
5. By the Book by Julia Sonneborn
The film is a retelling of Jane Austen’s classic Persuasion, in which an English professor in California faces a setback when her first love and ex-fiancu00e9 is hired as the college president. The film is character driven, engaging, and quirky, according to the reviewer.
6. The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
Heartwarming, romantic, and descriptive, a literary apothecary in a floating bookstore on the Seine struggles with private heartbreak. A journey of healing alongside a blocked writer and a lovelorn chef.
7. The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan
After years apart, the fiancu00e9e of a man who died the day he lost one of her keepsakes is reunited with her fiancu00e9 after he bequeaths his estate to an unsuspecting assistant who bonds with new neighbors while trying to reunite objects with their owners.
8. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
A. J. Fikry, the owner of a bookstore, isolates himself from his friends, family, and associates until he receives a mysterious package that forces him to rethink his life. Character-driven, moving, and witty; difficult to read but easy to follow.
9. The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man by Jonas Jonasson
When a hot air balloon ride ends in a sea landing and an unexpected rescue from a North Korean ship, one hundred-year-old Allan Karlsson and his sidekick Julius find themselves in the middle of a diplomatic crisis of epic proportions.
10. Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella
They intend to keep their relationship fresh when they learn they will live another sixty-eight years together, but a past scandal reveals how little they truly know about one another.
Check out these blog posts:
Give 3 Get 3 is a personalized reading/listening/viewing recommendation service offered by the Toledo Lucas County Public Library, in which librarians provide customers with reading, listening, and/or viewing suggestions based on a short questionnaire. Tell us about 3 titles you’ve recently enjoyed (and why), and we’ll send you 3 more recommendations.
Who is the most loved book character?
Your Top 20 Favorite Literary Characters
- Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)u201380.
- Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)u201376.
- Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre)u201358.
- Sherlock Holmes (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)u201347.
- Harry Potter (Harry Potter)u201336.
- Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)u201333.
- Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Pre
What are good characters in books called?
The hero is the main male character in a book, film, or play who usually has good qualities, while the heroine is the main female character.
Who are the most important characters in a novel?
Protagonist: The protagonist is the story’s main character.
What are the 7 types of characters?
Term(s) in this collection (7)
- Confidante. someone to whom the central character confides, revealing his or her personality, thoughts, and intentions.
- Dynamic Character.
- Flat Character.
- Round Character.
- Static Character.
- Stock Character.
Who is the most famous fictional character?
Fiction’s 100 Most Iconic Characters
- Superman (first appearance: 1938) was created by Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster for DC Comics’ Action Comics #1.
- Mickey Mouse (1928) was created by Walt Disney and Ub Iworks for the film Steamboat Willie.
- James Bond (1953) was created by Ian Fleming for the novel Casino Royale.
What are two types of characters?
Main characters can be classified in a variety of ways, including protagonist or antagonist, dynamic or static character, and round or flat character; characters can also fall into multiple categories or move between them.
What is a good last name?
The 100 Most Popular Last Names in the United States
- Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones, Brown, Davis, Miller, Wilson, Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones, Brown, Davis, Miller, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, Wilson
What do you call a bad character?
scoundrel. rogue. evildoer. Noun. A villainous, evil, or unscrupulous person.
What are the two types of conflicts?
There are two types of conflict: internal and external.
- Internal conflict occurs when a character struggles with their own opposing desires or beliefs, and it drives their character development.
- External conflict pits a character against something or someone outside of their control.
Who is the most important character in it?
Beverly Marsh (Sophia Lillis) is the heart of Andy Muschietti’s remake of IT, which sees the Losers Club band together to take on Pennywise.
Can a book have two protagonists?
It is possible to write a story with multiple main characters or protagonists, but it will be difficult. Consider whether you could tell your story in a simpler format. There’s a reason why there are so many books with only one protagonist. Give all of your main characters a common goal.
How many characters are in a novel?
A romance novel almost always has 2-3 main characters, usually with two love interests and a buddy/sidekick for the male or female lead. A mystery novel almost always has 2-3 main characters, possibly up to 5.
What are the 12 character archetypes?
Use These 12 Archetypal Characters in Your Writing
- The Outlaw.
- The Explorer.
- The Sage.
- The Innocent.
- The Creator.
- The Lover.
- The Hero.
- The Magician.
How do you pick a character name?
Choosing Character Names: 10 Pointers
- Consider your character’s background.
- Don’t use similar names for two characters.
- However, give your siblings the same name style.
- Consider your genre.
- Avoid famous name association.
- Sci-Fi names don’t have to sound alien.
What is character with example?
Character is defined as a unique symbol, letter, or mark used in writing; an example of character is an asterisk. Character is defined as a trait, quality, or high moral code; an example of character is someone who is known for being funny.