Our Most Recommended Books
The Iliad, a Greek poem dating from around 700 BCE, is said to be the first true science fiction story. One of the books most frequently recommended by experts we’ve interviewed. Recommended 7 times by experts on subjects as diverse as fear of death and transhumanism. Claire Danes narrates the 2017 translation of the Odyssey by Emily Wilson.
Author Stephen Fry recommends Robert Fagles’ 1969 translation or Stephen Mitchell’s 2011 translation of the Iliad, which is narrated by Stephen Fry, Derek Jacobi, and Alfred Molina. Pride and Prejudice was published 200 years ago, but it still speaks to us across the centuries.
What are the 3 most important books?
These are the books that have had the greatest impact on literature.
- Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy. William Shakespeare’s Complete Works. Herman Melville’s Moby Dick. George Orwell’s 1984. Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World. Homer’s The Iliad and Odyssey.
What is considered the best book of all time?
The All-Time Greatest Books
- 1. Marcel Proust’s In Search of Lost Time. 2. James Joyce’s Ulysses. 3. Miguel de Cervantes’ Don Quixote.
- 4. Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- 5. F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.
- 6. Herman Melville’s Moby Dick.
- 7. Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace.
Which book is read most in the world?
The Bible is the most widely read book in the world, according to writer James Chapman, who compiled a list of the most widely read books in the world based on the number of copies each book sold over the previous 50 years and discovered that the Bible far outsold all other books, with 3.9 billion copies sold.
What is the hardest book to read?
The Top 25 Most Difficult Books You’ll Ever Read
- James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake (1939)
- William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury (1929)
- Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales (14th Century)
- Gabriel Garcia Mu00e1rquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)
- Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow (1973)
What is the fastest selling book of all time?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh – and final – novel in JK Rowling’s (UK) Harry Potter series, sold 8.3 million copies in the first 24 hours (or 345,833 books per hour) after its release in the United States at 00.01 on July 21, 2007, making it the fastest-selling book in history.
What is the best religion book in the world?
Religions based on Abraham
- The Hidden Words.
- Days of Remembrance.
- Epistle to the Son of the Wolf.
- The Four Valleys.
- Gems of Divine Mysteries.
What is the hottest book right now?
Books that are extremely popular right now
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)
- Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
- Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
- The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
- Room (Kindle Edition)
What are the 10 best-selling books?
The Top 10 Best-Selling Books of All Time are as follows:
- THE BIBLE.
- QUOTATIONS FROM CHAIRMAN MAO TSE-TUNG.
- THE QURAN.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
- THE LITTLE PRINCE.
- HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE.
- SCOUTING FOR BOYS.
- AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.
What are the top 5 most read books in the world?
We’ve compiled a list of the most widely read books in history.
- The Holy Bible.
- The Holy Quran.
- J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Series.
- Chairman Mao Tse Tung’s Quotations.
- The Lord of the Rings.
- The Alchemist.
- Anne Frank’s Diary.
- Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Saga.
What are the top 3 purchased books in 2020?
These are the year’s best-selling books.
- A Promised Land by Barack Obama (2,574,531 copies sold)
- Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer (1,311,147 copies sold)
- Dog Man by Dave Pilkey (1,240,277 copies sold)
- Mary L.
- Suzanne Collins, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (1,235,099 copies sold)
What are the 10 most read books in the world?
The World’s Top 10 Most Read Books
- 3.9 billion copies of the Bible
- 820 million copies of Mao Tse-tung’s quotations
- 400 million copies of Harry Potter
- 103 million copies of Lord of the Rings
- 65 million copies of The Alchemist
- 57 million copies of The Da Vinci Code