30 Must Read Books for Every Engineer
The following books are widely regarded as some of the most outstanding engineering books of all time, with works by world-renowned authors such as Sir Ian McEwan, Robert McCall Smith, and William Boyd among them. The list is not exhaustive, but it makes no attempt to be.
1. Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future – Buy Now
From a journalist’s perspective, author Ashlee Vance spent more than 30 hours with Elon Musk and interviewed nearly 300 people for her book, which is an exceptionally well-prepared work for you to dive into Musk’s0relentless drive and ingenious vision.
2. Cracking the Coding Interview – Buy Now
Software engineers must be able to respond quickly to programming questions.
3. The Art of Doing Science and Engineering – Buy Now
A great read piece by the great mathematician Hamming published in The American Mathematical Monthly on September 20th and available on Amazon suggests that effective thinking can be learned by studying how great scientists think.
4. Design Patterns – Buy Now
Design Patterns is a classic of object-oriented development, providing timeless and elegant solutions to common software design problems. It describes patterns for a variety of phenomena, ranging from managing object creation to coordinating control flow between objects.
5. Introduction to Algorithms – Buy Now
It covers the full range of modern algorithms, both theoretically and practically.
6. Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence – Buy Now
It’s no surprise that engineers admire technology, and artificial intelligence plays a significant role in this admiration. This book provides a detailed analysis of how close we are to AGI and Superintelligence in the future.
7. Artificial Intelligence Revolution – Buy Now
This book is a must-have for anyone interested in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning, as it covers many of the latest AI-related ideas and technological developments, from computational ability to L4 automated vehicles and many more.
8. To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design – Buy Now
It delves into well-known engineering disasters like the collapse of the Hyatt Skywalk and the Mianus River Bridge.
9. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Buy Now
Robert Pirsig explores the question, “What is quality?” in one of the most influential engineering books of the twentieth century. It is said that the quest drove the author insane, but Anthony J Marchese of Colorado State University describes it as a journey that all mechanical engineers should embark on.
10. The Design of Everyday Things – Buy Now
The Design of Everyday Things, written by Donald Norman, is a classic engineering book that isn’t just about the design process, but also about people and how they use things, and it has the potential to change the way we think about the products we use and the role we play in creating new ones.
11. Engineering Fundamentals – An Introduction To Engineering
This book, written by Saeed Moaveni, is specifically designed for people interested in studying engineering and is a worthy addition to the list of great engineering books. It explains the fundamental principles of engineering from a practical and experiential standpoint.
What books should I read to learn engineering?
Every Engineer Should Read These 10 Books
- The Design of Everyday Things.
- The Existential Pleasures of Engineering.
- Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed Martin.
- Why Buildings Fall Down.
- Engineering in the Mind’s Eye.
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
Do engineers read a lot?
Reading is an important part of any engineer’s job, and engineers read a lot. Whether it’s technical books, case studies, white papers, or manuals, engineers read a lot.
What can you do with engineering textbooks?
Old Textbooks Can Be Recycled in 12 Different Ways
- Sell your books: This is probably the first thing that comes to mind.
- Donate your books: Someone else will always need the book you used.
- Ship your books:
- Recycle your books:
- Trade your books:
- Make a free book box:
- Decorate with books:
- Rent books:
Does Elon Musk have a book?
Vance, Ashlee: 9780062301253: Amazon.com: Books: Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future: Vance, Ashlee: 9780062301253: Amazon.com: Books
How do I become an engineer?
Earn a bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET-accredited school, pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, and have at least four years of engineering experience before taking the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.
How can I read a book fast?
These seven tips will help you read faster while maintaining reading comprehension.
- Prepare an attack plan.
- Be mindful.
- Don’t read every word.
- Don’t read every section.
- Write a summary.
- Practice timed runs.
How fast can you learn to read?
Give yourself 2 to 4 weeks, depending on how much you do per day, to achieve 700-1500 words per minute and 90% comprehension (normal speed is below 300 wpm and 75% comprehension).
Do engineers read novels?
You’re either taught to read books or you’re not, and it’s easier for an engineer to claim that he doesn’t because engineers only read technical material.
Should I keep my engineering textbooks?
I would strongly advise you to keep your textbooks for future reference; you will not use them frequently, and some will not be used at all, but when you do need to look something up every year or so, they become invaluable.
How do I get rid of old technical books?
If you’re in a similar situation, here are ten ideas for repurposing your old books.
- Bring your gently used books to your local library.
- Donate to a local charity.
- Make some gift tags.
- Recycle your unusable books.
- Sell or give them away online.
- Create a “Free Books” box.
How do I get rid of old textbooks?
Donating your books to organizations like Goodwill, the Salvation Army, or your local thrift store is a local option; these organizations will accept donations of almost any kind, but be sure to check their specific guidelines for donations.
How many hours does Bill Gates read?
‘On vacation, I get to read about 3 hours a day,’ says Bill Gates, adding that this strategy is “key to my learning.”
What is Bill Gates reading?
Bill Gates discusses his summer reading list, which includes five titles.
- Thomas Gryta and Ted Mann’s Lights Out: Pride, Delusion, and the Fall of General Electric. Elizabeth Kolbert’s Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future. Barack Obama’s A Promised Land. Richard Powers’ The Overstory.
What book does Elon Musk recommend?
Elon Musk Shares 12 Books That Have Changed His Life
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.
- Peter Thiel’s Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future, which I’ve already mentioned is required reading for Farnam Streeters.
- Nick Bostrom’s Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies.