30 Books All Teens Should Read Before They Turn 18 – Best Books for Teens
Middle grade and young adult books have more to offer than ever before, and no matter where your teen falls on the book-loving spectrum, we have something for them.
Ponyboy’s journey demonstrates how things can spiral out of control when you’re desperate to fit in. Read along with your kids as they read J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the book that started it all. Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower explores the heartbreaks, friendships, and weirdness of high school.
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is a powerful book about police brutality and racial inequality. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee gets to the heart of human behavior. J.D. Salinger’s account of his time in Nazi death camps is horrifying and graphic, but necessary. 1984 by George Orwell is eerily prescient and demonstrates how important free thought is to protect.
What kind of books teenagers read?
There are 21 books that every teen should read.
- Malala Yousafzai’s I Am Malala. Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis. Elie Wiesel’s Night. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s We Should All Be Feminists. Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me.
What topics do teens like to read about?
Young adult readers prefer relatable main characters, which means that most books should focus on real-life teen issues such as school, friends, relationships, and family. Controversial or sensitive topics are also appealing to young adult readers.
What books should 16 year olds read?
Every 16-year-old should read these 16 coming-of-age books.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Stephen Chbosky, 1999.
- The Outsiders. SE Hinton, 1967.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee, 1960.
- The Lord of the Rings. JRR Tolkien, 1954.
- Great Expectations. JD Salinger, 1951.
What classic books should every teenager read?
Every teen should read these seven classic books.
- Share. barnesandnoble.com.
- 1 Romeo and Juliet. Share. barnesandnoble.com.
- 2 Pride and Prejudice. Share. barnesandnoble.com.
- 3 The Great Gatsby. Share. barnesandnoble.com.
- 4 Catcher in the Rye. Share. barnesandnoble.com.
- 5 Fahrenheit 451. Share.
- 6 To Kill a Mocking
What books should a 14 year old read?
A teenager may want to do a variety of things in order to be cool or fit in. Fiction Books
- Jasper Jones.
- Life of Pi.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- The Martian: Classroom Edition.
- Life of Pi.
What are good 17 year old books?
Books for Young Adults (ages 13 to 17)
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird
- John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath
- William Golding’s Lord of the Flies
- John Knowles’ A Separate Peace
- Lois Lowry’s The Giver
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit
- Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game
How can teens promote reading culture?
So, how can we motivate and encourage students to read on their own?
- Introduce DEAR to your classroom.
- Set reading challenges with prizes.
- Read books in a variety of subject areas.
- Explore a variety of genres.
- Create individual classroom libraries.
- Create reading nooks throughout the school.
- Engage with authors.
How do you teach a teenager to read?
“The key to teaching teen-agers to read,” says Starkey, “is to provide meaningful content. If they’re interested in motorcycles, let them read about motorcycles.” Harris explains that a little deception is required, in which the teen-agers are tricked into learning to read by engaging them in writing and speaking.
What is importance of reading?
Why is reading so important? Evidence suggests that children who read for pleasure every day not only perform better on reading tests, but also develop a broader vocabulary, increased general knowledge, and a better understanding of other cultures.
What is a good book for a teenage girl to read?
57 Teenage Girl-Friendly Books
- George Orwell’s Animal Farm. Louise Rennison’s Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Series. J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Series. John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars. Rainbow Rowell’s Eleanor and Park. Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone. Alice Walker’s The Color Purple.
What books should 18 year olds read?
Maya demonstrates that even in the darkest night, it is possible to nurture something inside that can shine brightly.
- Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art.
- Alex and Brett Harris’ Do Hard Things.
- Don’t Know Much About History by Kenneth C.
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird.
Who is the most famous teenager?
Who Are The World’s Most Popular Teenagers?
- Lorde, 17.
- Clo Grace Moretz, 17.
- Jaden Smith, 17.
- Austin Mahone, 17.
- Malala Yousafzai, 17.
- Rico Rodriguez, 16.
- Nash Grier, 16.
What books should a 15 year old boy read?
His book recommendations are as follows:
- Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan:
- Brotherband by John Flanagan:
- Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson:
- Thr3e by Ted Dekker:
- Leviathan by James Byron Huggins:
- Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years by John Flanagan: