The 10 Best Fiction Books of 2020
Whether in the tumultuous halls of power in Tudor England with The Mirror or the dark recesses of post-apocalyptic World War Two with A Farewell to Arms, the best fiction of the year offers many paths toward greater understanding and meaningful escape.
10. Breasts and Eggs, Mieko Kawakami
Breasts and Eggs is author Mieko Kawakami’s first novel to be published in English, and it follows three women and their relationships with their changing bodies, as well as the expectations placed on women by the world and by themselves.
9. Where the Wild Ladies Are, Aoko Matsuda
Aoko Matsuda, a Japanese author, takes readers on a journey through supernatural events, adapting traditional Japanese ghost stories for the modern age. Matsuda gives previously voiceless female characters agency, and humorously breaks down gender roles and stereotypes still prevalent in Japanese culture.
8. Deacon King Kong, James McBride
In this story of comedy and compassion, National Book Award-winning author James McBride reveals the answer, describing their world in densely packed, rhythmic specificities. Buy now: Deacon King Kong on bookshop.com and Amazon.co.uk.
7. A Burning, Megha Majumdar
In her debut novel, A Burning, Megha Majumdar writes with absorbing urgency about Jivan, a poor Muslim woman living in the slums of Kolkata, India, who is accused of assisting the attackers of an attack on a busy bus stop.
6. I Hold a Wolf by the Ears, Laura van den Berg
I Hold a Wolf by the Ears, a collection by Laura van den Berg, is short fiction at its best, capturing the cruelest of traumas on one page and then providing a healing dose of humor on the next. The characters are all broken in different ways, but they all quietly grapple with life’s greatest questions.
5. Homeland Elegies, Ayad Akhtar
Homeland Elegies, by Pulitzer Prize winner Ayad Akhtar, is a must-read novel about a man dealing with the aftermath of September 11th. From the first pages, when the fictional Ayad’s father treats Donald Trump for a heart condition, we are immersed in a world that is recognizable but not necessarily real.
4. A Children’s Bible, Lydia Millet
Evie narrates the group’s struggles in the midst of apocalyptic levels of devastation in Lydia Millet’s novel, which was a National Book Award finalist. The story is both an adventure story and a warning tale of a grim future told through the eyes of a generation far too comfortable with catastrophe.
2. Shuggie Bain, Douglas Stuart
The main character, Hugh “Shuggie” Bain, is growing up with an alcoholic mother and facing a culture of homophobia in 1980s Glasgow in Douglas Stuart’s debut novel, Shuggie Bain, which was a National Book Award finalist and winner of the Booker Prize.
1. The Vanishing Half, Brit Bennett
Brit Bennett creates the tiny Black town of Mallard, Louisiana, where residents take pride in their light skin, and weaves a layered and satisfying narrative that shifts through time. The Vanishing Half is the novel of the year.
Read the rest of TIME’s best-of 2020 coverage:
Lucy Feldman, Annabel Gutterman, and Ciara Nugent can be reached via email at [email protected]
What’s the best fiction book to read?
Here is a list of 12 novels that have been regarded as some of the greatest works of literature ever written for various reasons.
- Greta Garbo in Anna Karenina.
- To Kill a Mockingbird.
- The Great Gatsby. F.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- A Passage to India.
- Don Quixote.
What fiction books are popular right now?
The 16 Best New Fiction Books to Devour in 2021
- Outlawed. Bloomsbury Publishing amazon.com.
- Detransition, Baby. One World amazon.com.
- The Push. Courtesy.
- The Wife Upstairs. Courtesy.
- Aftershocks. Simon and Schuster amazon.com.
- Fake Accounts.
- What’s Mine and Yours.
What Fiction Should I read in 2021?
So Far, the Must-Read Books of 2021
- Andy Weir’s Project Hail Mary.
- Kazuo Ishiguro’s Klara and the Sun.
- Greg McKeown’s Effortless.
- Gold Diggers. by Sanjena Sathian.
- Stacey Lee’s Luck of the Titanic.
- Ibram X’s Four Hundred Souls.
- People We Meet on Vacation. by Emily Henry.
- Crying in H Mart. by Michelle
What are the top 10 best selling fiction books right now?
WORK OF FICTION
- Sally Rooney’s Beautiful World, Where Are You.
- J.D. Robb’s Forgotten in Death.
- Stephen King’s Billy Summers.
- Paula Hawkins’ A Slow Fire Burning.
- Lauren Groff’s Matrix.
- Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney.
- The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave.
- Louise Penny’s The Madness of Crowds.
What is the most sold book 2020?
These are the year’s best-selling books.
- A Promised Land by Barack Obama (2,574,531 copies sold)
- Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer (1,311,147 copies sold)
- Dog Man by Dave Pilkey (1,240,277 copies sold)
- Mary L.
- Suzanne Collins, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (1,235,099 copies sold)
What is the hottest book right now?
Books that are extremely popular right now
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)
- Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
- Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
- The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
- Room (Kindle Edition)
What is the best book to read right now?
These Are the 40 Most Anticipated New Books in 2021
- Courtesy of Harper.
- Let Me Tell You What I Mean.
- The Wife Upstairs: A Novel.
- Summerwater: A Novel.
- How the One-Armed Sister Sweeps Her House: A Novel.
- Life Among the Terranauts.
- The Removed: A Novel.
What are the 10 best-selling books?
The Top 10 Best-Selling Books of All Time are as follows:
- THE BIBLE.
- QUOTATIONS FROM CHAIRMAN MAO TSE-TUNG.
- THE QURAN.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
- THE LITTLE PRINCE.
- HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE.
- SCOUTING FOR BOYS.
- AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.
What’s the most sold book in the world?
The 25 All-Time Best-Selling Books
- Don Quixote (500 million copies sold) is number one
- A Tale of Two Cities (200 million copies sold) is number two
- The Lord of the Rings (150 million copies sold) is number three
- The Little Prince (142 million copies sold) is number four
- and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (107 million copies sold) is number five.
What books are most popular right now?
Right Now on Goodreads, the 20 Most Popular Books
- Becoming by Michelle Obama.
- Educated by Tara Westover.
- Circe by Madeline Miller.
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.
- The Victory Garden by Rhys Bowen.