How to Cover a Paperback Book With Clear Plastic Film
When unwrapping a book or sheet of contact paper to wrap a parcel, make sure the paper side is facing up. Contact paper is available at many convenience stores as well as arts and crafts stores.
Remove 1 inch (2.5cm) of paper from one side of the plastic layer and peel it off the other. Cut the contact paper 2 inches (5.1cm) from the end of the text block. Line up the book where the backing paper and contact paper meet, then press the book cover onto the contact paper to work out any air bubbles.
Plastic wrapping, unlike contact paper, does not have an adhesive backing, so it will not stick to the book cover on its own. Keeping tape off the cover will make it easier to replace the cover in the future.
How do I protect my paperbacks?
Book Protection for Paperbacks
- Permanent book covers are usually self-adhesive and are applied over the book covers, permanently altering the book. Reusable book covers can be applied over the book covers without permanently altering or adhering to the book in any way.
How do you protect a collectible paperback book?
Safely Storing Books
- Keep books out of direct sunlight and heat.
Can you cover a paperback book?
Covering your paperback books with plastic wrap is a great way to protect them for years to come. Contact paper adheres to the book like a sticker, whereas non-adhesive plastic wrap does not adhere to the book and must be taped down.
What is the proper way to store books?
6 Suggestions for Long-Term Book Storage
- Carefully wrap each book.
- Use a Storage Container.
- Store Your Books Vertically.
- Use a Climate Controlled Storage Unit for Long-Term Storage.
How do you make paperbacks last longer?
How to extend the life of your paperbacks:
- Keep your paperbacks as dry as possible.
- You should store your books properly.
- You can laminate the front and back covers of your books with clear contact paper.
- Resist the urge to turn down the corner of the page to mark your spot.
How do you protect books from insects?
You can sprinkle pepper or insect powder near your books, but DO NOT SPRINKLE ANYTHING ON THE BOOKS. You place it near the books, and the smell deters pests from eating your old books, just like cotton balls.
How do you store 100 year old books?
Keeping Books Safe
- Shelving u2014 Store small- to medium-sized books upright (vertically).
- Handling u2014 Handle books gently to avoid separating covers and spine pieces from the binding.
- Making Copies u2014 Do not place books face down on a photocopier or scanner.
How do you stop pages from yellowing in books?
How to Prevent Yellowing in Books
- Store under moderate humidity.
- Allow for proper air circulation.
- Use archival paper between the pages of the book.
- Handle properly.
- Store away from direct sunlight. Ultraviolet rays cause fading on the covers and spines and promote yellowing of the pages much faster.
How do you keep a paperback book from curling?
How to Avoid Bending Paperback Books
- Open your plastic book cover until it is flat.
- Open the book slightly.
- Close the book.
- Place your book on a flat surface every time you read.
- Store your book in a bookshelf.
How do I protect my book pages?
In fact, the most important things you can do to protect and preserve your books are free.
- Keep Books Out of Direct Sunlight.
- Keep Books Out of Water.
- Keep Books Out of Extremes of Temperature.
- Shelve and Store Books Correctly.
- Do Not Store Items in Books.
Can you turn a paperback into a hardcover?
You can have the original cover trimmed down and mounted onto the hardcover binding as an “overlay” if you want to convert your paperback to hardcover but don’t want to lose the look of the original cover.