The Boy Scout Handbook
If you’re interested in wilderness/outdoor survival and skills, almost anything published by the BSA is worth your time and money. The Handbook is designed for rigorous use, so you can bend it, drop it, and spill stuff on it and it will still hold up pretty well.
What do new Boy Scouts need?
Rain jacket u2013 Because camp is outside 24 hours a day, boys need jackets that are of good quality, have closed seams, and are breathable. Mess Kit for meals. First Aid Kit. Flashlight or headlamp with extra batteries.
How much is a Scout handbook?
Handbooks cost about $17 and are used for a year. They contain all of the required and optional adventures for each rank, as well as a Scout’s record of completed adventures.
What are the requirements to get Scout rank?
Requirements for Scout Rank:
- Describe the First Class Scout badge and explain what each part stands for.
- Repeat from memory the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan.
- Explain what Scout spirit is.
- Demonstrate the Scout sign, salute, and handshake.
How many editions of the BSA handbook are there?
As a result, the Handbook is divided into eleven distinct manuals: Original Editionu2014A Handbook of Woodcraft, Scouting, and Life-craft; 1st and 2nd Editionsu2014The Official Handbook for Boys; 3rd and 4th Editionsu2014Revised Handbook for Boys.
What goes in a Boy Scout day pack?
The Scout’s Ten Most Important Items
- Rain gear.
- Trail food.
- Extra clothing.
- First-aid kit.
- Sun protection.
- Map and compass
How do you become an Eagle Scout?
Requirements for Eagle Scout
- Earn 21 merit badges.
- Serve a minimum of six months in a leadership position2.
- Be active in the troop for at least six months as a Life Scout.
- Show dedication to the Scout Oath and Scout Law1.
- Provide references from family, work, church, and other community groups.
What is the motto for the Boy Scouts of America?
In 1907, Baden-Powell, an English soldier, devised the Scout motto: Be Prepared, which he published in Scouting for Boys in 1908. (The Boy Scouts of America was founded two years later, in 1910.)
How do you start a Boy Scout?
How to Begin a Boy Scouts of America Troop
- Step 1: Chartered Organization Agreement.
- Step 2: New Unit Application.
- Step 3: Identifying, Recruiting, and Training Adult Leadership.
- Step 4: Program Planning.
- Step 5: Recruit Youth Members and Orient Parents.
- Step 6: Turn in all paperwork and Get Scouting!
Do you have to be religious to be a Boy Scout?
The Boy Scouts of America require all Scouts to believe in a God or comparable higher power, but they currently accept Scouts who are non-theistic Buddhists, Jains, and Hindus from non-theistic sectarian groups, and they recognize the religious awards of all three faiths.
What are the 3 words on the back of the Scout handbook?
I used to use the three words on the back cover – Character, Citizenship, and Fitness – when talking with scouts. The mottled backgrounds on many pages make it more difficult to read the text.
Who wrote the first Boy Scout handbook?
The left-handed Scout handshake is a formal way of greeting other Scouts of both genders and is used by members of Scout and Guide organizations all over the world. It is made with the hand closest to the heart and is offered as a token of friendship.